Thursday, April 29, 2010

Clementine Cake

After finding a bag of ground almonds at Milano's, I knew I had to try this recipe.  It takes some time and planning ahead, but comes out incredibly moist.  You can even pretend that it's healthy!  (Except for all that pesky sugar.)  I skipped making a glaze.  It was already plenty sweet for me (although that could be the organic sugar cane sugar I used because my grocery store is MIA and I didn't feel like walking all the way to the InterMarche)!


Clementine Cake (from Smitten Kitchen) (Adapted from Nigella Lawson)

Ingredients
4 to 5 clementines (about 375grams/slightly less than 1 pound total weight)
6 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (225 grams) sugar
2 1/3 cups (250 grams) ground almonds
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder


1. Put the clementines in a pot with cold water to cover, bring to the boil, and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the seeds. Then finely chop the skins, pith, and fruit in a processor (or blender).
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
3. Butter and line an 8-inch (21 centimeter) springform pan with parchment paper. (I used a rectangular glass pan that's about 8x11.)
4. Beat the eggs. Add the sugar, almonds, and baking powder. Mix well, adding the chopped clementines.
5. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 50 minutes, when a skewer will come out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment