Sunday, August 29, 2010

Broccoli Spears in Garlic Sauce

Last week, I couldn't resist all of the fresh vegetables on sale at the Val-Mont with little blue stickers saying they were from Quebec, so I came home with broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, and grapes (okay, not a vegetable, but it was the basis for a meal!). When a friend delivered fresh homegrown tomatoes to me at work, it was recipe overload for the week. I'm proud to say I might just make my goal of not being wasteful for the week and using all of those delicious veggies (granted there may be some leftover cooked food in the freezer). I pulled this recipe once I realized my gorgonzola and broccoli pie wasn't going to use all of the broccoli I had bought. The original is for vegetables only, but to make it more of a light meal, I added some fettuccine noodles. I only cooked one small head of broccoli (a small enough amount that I could eat it all in one sitting), but left the sauce the same so that I'd have enough sauce for the noodles. It came out a little on the runny side, so next time I'd probably try scaling back the chicken broth. This was quick, easy, and surprisingly tasty. Original recipe amounts are below.

Broccoli Spears in Garlic Sauce (from Gourmet Today)


Ingredients
680g broccoli
1 tbsp canola oil
4 garlic cloves, lightly smashed and peeled
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp sesame oil
fettuccine

1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. (I found that the time it took to boil water gave me time to prep the broccoli and that the cooking time was just right for cooking the broccoli, ymmv.)
2. Meanwhile, peel broccoli stalks. Halve broccoli crosswise. Cut stems lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide wedges. Cut top into 1/2 inch wide florets.
3. Heat a skillet over high heat. Add canola oil. Add garlic and stir-fry until golden, 30 seconds.
4. Add broccoli and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in oyster sauce and stock and cook covered until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and toss with sesame oil, then toss noodles with broccoli and sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment