Thursday, August 26, 2010

Eggplant Souffle

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this recipe. I'm not the biggest eggplant fan (well other than baba ganoush), but I'm trying to teach myself (especially now that it's in season). I scaled this recipe in half, but kept the garlic. My modified version is below (should serve 2 - 3 as a light main course).

Eggplant Souffle (from Gourmet Today)


Ingredients
olive oil
1 eggplant, halved (you can cook only 1/2 or do the whole thing and save more for later, this version only uses half though)
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
butter

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Oil a baking sheet with olive oil.
2. Put eggplant cut side down on baking sheet and bake until tender, about 30 minutes.
3. When eggplant is cool, scrape flesh of one half into a food processor. Discard skin. Puree until smooth. Add egg yolks, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and pulse until blended. Transfer to bowl.
4. Butter a gratin dish (the original calls for a 1 1/2 quart dish. I used a 16 ounce dish and a single serving sized souffle dish).
5. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until stiff peaks form.
6. Fold 1/3 egg whites into eggplant mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining gently but thoroughly. Spoon mixture into gratin dish(es).
7. Bake until golden and puffed, 25 - 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment