Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pad See Ew

This was quick (if you don't count the 30 minute marinade!), simple, and delicious. What more could you ask for? I made a few changes ... I used regular broccoli instead of Chinese broccoli because I didn't feel like going on a vegetable scavenger hunt. I also substituted bean sprouts for wide rice noodles, because (1) I couldn't find wide rice noodles; (2) I lacked confidence in my ability to cook rice noodles properly for a dinner guest; and (3) I was buying bean sprouts anyways for another meal. It worked out well. I should've served it over rice since I skipped the noodles, but I didn't. I also took a short cut and substituted pre-sliced fondue pork for doing it myself ... I highly recommend that short cut if you can get your meat from Maison du Roti.

This serves two with no leftovers sadly. It cooks up quickly, so make sure you have everything ready to go before you start cooking.

Pad See Ew (from Use Real Butter, originally Chez Pim)

Ingredients
marinade
225g pork loin, sliced thin against the grain (fondue meat works great!)
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
splash of dark sesame oil
the rest of it
2-3 tbsps cooking oil
250g Chinese broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces (or regular)
fish sauce to taste
300g fresh wide rice noodle (or bean sprouts)
1 tbsp thick soy sauce (dark, I used Pearl River)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
ground black pepper to taste

1. Combine marinade ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in your wok or pan over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the broccoli and sauté for about a minute.
3. Then add a splash of fish sauce, sautéing. Remove the greens from the pan and set aside.
4. Add another tablespoon (or more) of oil to the pan and toss in the noodles (if using sprouts, wait and just add them at the end), coating them with the oil. Add thick soy sauce, a few splashes of fish sauce and stir the noodles about until they are evenly cooked. Remove the noodles from the pan and set aside.
5. Scrape off any remnants from the pan, add another tablespoon of oil and set over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir for a second, then add the pork. Stir-fry until the pork is almost cooked through.
6. Push the pork to the side of the pan and add an egg to the middle. Let it cook for a few seconds then stir it together with the pork. Add the broccoli and the noodles (or sprouts ... if using sprouts, stir until wilted). Stir together. Remove from heat.
7. Add more soy sauce and/or fish sauce to taste (you may not need any) and then toss the noodles with a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar and a few grinds of black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment