Sunday, March 27, 2011

Welsh Rarebit (or Rabbit)

I had a rabbit-themed dinner party and couldn't resist a vegetarian rabbit-themed dish. I scaled this recipe in half and had plenty of cheese sauce. I also substituted cheddar in places of the cheeses listed. I got a little anxious about the lack of milk or cream, so I threw in just a tiny bit after the beer to try to make it more sauce-like. I think it would've been okay without. Is this recipe authentic? I don't know. I failed to make the Welsh guy at the party taste it. Is it tasty? Most definitely.

One year ago: Pear, Proscuitto, and Goat Cheese Pizza

Welsh Rarebit (adapted from grouprecipes.com, submitted by bonzaichef)

Ingredients
200g Cheddar cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1 whisked egg yolk
1/2 tsp English mustard powder
3/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch of chili powder or cayenne pepper
75ml Guinness
sliced baguette

1. In a saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat & add the flour, cook for 1 min stirring constantly, add the egg & stir for another 30 secs.
2. Slowly whisk in the beer but do not let the mixture boil.
3. Add the cheese in handfuls, stirring until it is melted in.
4. Stir in the worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, paprika, chili or cayenne pepper, pinch of salt a ground pepper & mix well.
5. Toast the french bread lightly & place on a plate, spoon over the creamy mixture(if you wish you can then place under a hot grill just to crisp the top lightly).

No comments:

Post a Comment