Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thai-inspired Tacos

A couple of weeks ago, I went over to a friend's house to watch some hockey. Included in the dinner invitation were cheese burritos. When I think of burritos, I think of gigantic mounds of refried beans and cheese the size of dinner plates. This was more taco-like with fresh ingredients. Not what I was expecting at all, but a refreshing and delicious change of pace. I asked her what all was in it and then promptly changed it a bit (somehow I can't resist changing things). This meal is healthy and comes together quickly enough to be a weeknight meal. I briefly considered using my own beans for this, but took the lazy way out and used canned beans.

Changes from the original: She had a mix of beans, used green onions, cilantro, and a bit of olive oil and lemon. She also melted shredded cheese on the tortillas in the oven before serving. Salad greens were also available for the tacos.

Ideas for next time: I'm tempted to add some fish sauce and brown sugar to the tamarind to make it more of a pad thai sauce.

Crucial things to remember: The sweet chili sauce makes this dish. Buy some and don't skimp on pouring it on your tacos!

One year ago: Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies

Thai-inspired Taco
I think this makes roughly 2 servings. All measurements are approximate.

Ingredients
flour tortillas
1 avocado, chopped
1 cup tomato, chopped (I just halved some grape tomatoes)
1/2 can black beans, rinsed
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tamarind sauce (see notes above)
1/2 tsp cumin
Thai sweet chili sauce

1. In a bowl, combine avocados, tomato, and black beans.
2. Toss with lime juice, tamarind, and cumin to taste.
3. Fill tortillas with mixture and garnish with sweet chili sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment