Sunday, June 26, 2011

Prosciutto and Cream Pasta

I had leftover prosciutto sitting in the fridge this week, so I decided to buy some fresh pasta to make a spaghetti carbonara. I ended up with leftover pasta from that and still a bit of prosciutto. While going through my Italian cookbook, I stumbled upon this recipe and having everything on hand, I figured why not. Also, why do I have two open and half-used cartons of whipping cream in my fridge? This recipe comes together quickly and easily and tastes like fettucine alfredo, but with prosciutto! What could be better? Original (serves 4) is included below. I roughly scaled the sauce in half while using 1/4 of the pasta.

One year ago: Blackberry Lemon Meringue Pie

Prosciutto and Cream Pasta (from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking)

Ingredients
115g sliced prosciutto
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
450g cooked pasta (fettuccine, tortellini, and penne all work well)
1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano

1. Shred the prosciutto into narrow strips. Put in a saucepan with butter, turn heat to medium, and cook for 2 minutes, turning until it is browned all over.
2. Add heavy cream and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened and reduced by at least 1/3.
3. Toss sauce with cooked drained pasta, add grated Parmesan, toss again, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment