Sunday, July 10, 2011

Spinach with Ginger and Green Chiles (Saag Bhaji)

For a long time, I avoided cooking many meat based dishes because I dislike needing to do a separate side dish. Vegetarian dishes seemed so much easier because there was generally only one dish to make. I'm working on conquering my fear of side dishes. As an intro, I decided to go with something quick and easy. I was pleasantly surprised by both the speed and simplicity of this recipe and the taste. I scaled this in half because the spinach box I picked up was only a half pound. The original is included below and serves 4.

One year ago: Pasta Pesto Salad

Spinach with Ginger and Green Chiles - Saag Bhaji (from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking)

Ingredients
1" piece ginger, grated or chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/4 pound trimmed and washed spinach
2 - 3 fresh, hot green chiles, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Put oil in a work or large, wide pan and set over high heat.
2. When oil is hot, add ginger. Stir until ginger starts to brown.
3. Add in spinach and chiles. Stir and cook until spinach has wilted completely.
4. Add salt, garam masala, sugar, and cayenne.
5. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment